Do you want to know what capelets do to your figure?
Do you want to know which body shapes and sizes can or can't wear capelets?
If you are thinking of trying out this new trend, first of all read on to find out the dos and don'ts of this
tricky trend. Just because a new fashion fad hits the shops doesn't mean it will be flattering for you. You need to know or discover how it will affect your overall silhouette. This is extremely important, don't you think?
Capelets will be all the rage this autumn/Winter, according to fashion magazines. You will soon find capelets on the mannequins in clothes shops slung over all manner of tops, dresses, cardigans, jackets and coats.
How can you wear this trend while still looking chic?
Many women don't know about balance and proportion. Ignoring these vital, visual rules can and will transform your silhouette into an unflattering one.
This is why I am into style and not fashion.
Fashion gives you the what (clothes), whereas I don't only give you the what, but also the why and the how (good style advice).
Authentic French Chic is all about style, not fashion. Knowing a few rules and guidelines will help you look stylish, elegant and create an enviable silhouette.
Today, I will teach you about capelets and what they do to your body shape and silhouette, in general.
First of all, what will capelets do to your body?
- They widen you at the shoulders
- They add bulk to the bust
- They shorten the torso
What solutions do they solve?
- They widen narrow shoulders
- They visually enlarge the bust area
- They attract the eye towards your upper body in a big way
- They detract the eye from your lower body
- They transform you from long-waisted to short-waisted
Which body shapes can wear capelets?
- Pear shapes, as long as the capelet is not too wide, so as not to hide their narrow waist
- Rectangle shapes, as long as they visually widen their hips at the same time, so as not to look unbalanced
Which body shapes cannot wear capelets?
- Inverted triangles, as capelets would widen their upper body even more
- Hourglass shapes, as capelets would add bulk to the bust, and widen the shoulders. This would unbalance the proportions of the silhouette.
- Apples, as capelets would add extra bulk and volume to the upper body
Which sizes can or cannot wear capelets?
- The slim pears and rectangles can wear them
- Plus Sizes in any shape should avoid them at all costs
If you wish to follow the guidelines of French Chic, remember that less is more.
- Go for subtle capelets that add interest to a plain garment.
- Avoid any style of capelets that adds too much bulk at the torso or width to the shoulders.
- Also avoid any that looks "over the top" or just plain silly.
To summarise, unless you are a rectangle or a slim pear this is one fashion fad to avoid. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because the mannequins in the shops look good (tall, slim rectangles!) you will look the same. Style is about knowing what you can wear and wearing it, and what you can't wear and avoiding it. Don't despair about missing out on a trend. Do take comfort that, if a capelet may turn you into a sullen Side-Kick rather than a Chic Caped Crusader, another trend will be along soon!
Now that you know more about the whats, whys and hows of capelets, you can make a more informed decision.
What do you think of capelets? Will you buy into this new trend? Did you find my advice useful?
PS: Don't miss out on my posts! please subscribe to my newsletter (and you will receive a FREE ebook).
I'm Marie-Anne. I help women look fabulous via authentic French Chic. Join me in The French Chic Academy
👠 "I am so proud of following your advice because I attended a function recently and a totally unknown lady came up to me and said how elegant I looked!!!! I was so happy, as you can imagine!!!! Thank you so very much for everything."
👠 "Love! Love! Finally a no non-sense approach to being chic, excellent tips, easy to do and understand, anybody can be chic!"
👠 "My closet is organized and I can put my hand on an item of clothing I'm looking for easily, thanks to your book"
👠 "I still need purging but thanks to you I was able to move in one wardrobe box instead of 3."
"Make every day special and beautiful"