My own thoughts on looking sexy is that real sexiness comes from within. It's that certain look, a full smile, how you walk or even your voice that can appear sexy to others.
By wearing clothes labeled as sexy in order to look sexy, you are trying too hard already.
You may end up showing up too much cleavage, leg and flesh in general, drawing attention to body parts instead of the whole you. More sexual than sexy.
There is so much to say about sexiness that one could write forever on this topic. For the purpose of this article, I shall therefore curtail my writing and stick to the brief: How French women dress to look sexy and chic, not tarty and cheap. French women have a certain abhorrence of looking tarty and cheap. We would rather wear plain and boring clothes than wear clothes that we view as too sexy, therefore tarty. We are not into beauty or sexiness in an obvious way. We prefer to be subtle rather than in-your-face. Maybe that's what sets us apart. Qui sait?
So, what do we wear and, surtout, how do we wear it? To follow the French women's lead, please read on for tips on what to wear and how.
Don't dress tarty and cheap, so don't wear:
-A 'sexy' top with a 'sexy' skirt.
- A cropped top with tiny, tight shorts (unless on the beach and 14 years old).
- Anything 'sexy' from top to bottom.
- Super low-cut tops or dresses that show most of your breasts.
- Mini-skirts with high heels.
- Too many 'sexy' details, such as slits, cut-outs, high-legs, low-cuts etc in the same outfit.
Think sexy and chic, so do wear:
- A 'sexy' top with a pair of well-cut jeans (dark blue or black denim) and high heels.
- A 'sexy' skirt with a top that keeps you covered up, such as high neck or long sleeves. Avoid plunging necklines.
- A backless top with knee-length skirt or trousers.
- Peephole top with jeans or trousers.
- Dark colour from top to toe, but with a subtle 'sexy' detail. This could be a cut-out at the front, or on the shoulders, or at the neck or back. Think subtle, not obvious.
I think you've guessed it by now. The secret to looking sexy and chic, not tarty and cheap, is to wear only one piece that is deemed 'sexy'. But even then, the item should not be tarty looking. French women have the inner confidence not to show too much in one outfit. By following my French tips, you too can look sexy and chic. Take pride in yourself, your body and your beauty.
If you enjoyed this article, you may also enjoy these:
Are Ripped Jeans French Chic? Mais non!
What NOT to Wear in Paris
Romance and elegance
Marilyn Monroe: Some Like it Hot
I'm Marie-Anne Lecoeur. I teach women how to upgrade their style and think, shop & dress like a French woman in my Ecourses and The French Chic Academy
Click & SUBSCRIBE
👠 "I am so proud of following your advice because I attended a function recently and a totally unknown lady came up to me and said how elegant I looked!!!! I was so happy, as you can imagine!!!! Thank you so very much for everything."
👠 "Love! Love! Finally a no non-sense approach to being chic, excellent tips, easy to do and understand, anybody can be chic!"
👠 "My closet is organized and I can put my hand on an item of clothing I'm looking for easily, thanks to your book"
👠 "I still need purging but thanks to you I was able to move in one wardrobe box instead of 3."
"Make every day special and beautiful"