If “La fête des amoureux” is something you never miss, now's time to think about your outfit for the 14th February.
I’m going to give you some 'nutshell' guidelines on how to pull an outfit together that will
add a subtle, romantic look whilst not overdoing the sexy vibe. Let's not forget that Valentine's day is about love and romance.
Chic French women prefer subtlety in what they wear. Looking overdone is a big 'non' in chic sartorial guidelines. So is overdoing the 'sexy' component.
So, let's see what to wear for two different scenarios on Valentine's evening; what to avoid and how to be chic.
The first scenario is for those of you on a first date and the second is for a 'dîner à deux' with your long-term partner.
1/ First date
Main rule: Remain subtle
- Keep it cool and don't give the wrong impression or frighten the poor guy away. ie refrain from looking overtly SEXY.
- Be perceived as the person he would love to date long-term but not someone he would associate for one night only. You don’t want to be seen as a foregone conclusion.
French Chic is based on thinking about yourself and raising your standards. Keep yourself in high esteem always. Looking as if you're offering yourself as a free dessert on your first date, because 'Hey, he paid the bill,' is not in keeping with your French Chic standards.
What to avoid
- A short hem+high heels+deep décolleté combo
- Anything too low-cut
- Showing too much skin
- Casual clothes top to toe
- Ripped jeans or gymwear
- Grey jeans, especially light-washed, are not inviting, even less so on Valentine's.
- Tops with 'cute' messages such as LOVE, I LOVE YOU or HAPPY VALENTINE. Keep the pressure off on the first date, even if you are out on Valentine’s day.
- Large handbags as if you're about to catch a plane.
- Have only one sexy piece in the whole outfit, for instance high heels, but wear them with trousers. This will tone down their sexy effect. You want to be subtle, remember? Don't worry, they won't go unnoticed by the other party.
- You don't have to wear anything pink or red on Valentine's Day but if you do, choose only one item in this colour whether in shoes, bag, scarf, cardigan, sweater or jewellery.
- Dressing down is something you can also do on your first date, even on Valentine's (clean and smart of course!). So, if you don't want to look overdressed and overdone, but prefer to go casual, wear:
- Dark blue or black denim jeans
- A chic sweater in soft cashmere or angora, not in acrylic
- A simple silk top in a soft muted colour
- A pair of pearl earrings
- Chic ballerina flats, not those you wear to run to the bus stop every morning!
2/ 'Dîner à deux' (romantic dinner) with your long-time partner
Main Rule: Go for the elegant look
As you are already with your long-term partner, you don’t have to be as demure as on a first date. You can spice your outfit up a bit without going for the 'trying too hard to look sexy' look.
Prefer romance or glamour over sexy.
Think refinement, not bad taste.
What to Avoid
Anything casual. Why wouldn't you make an effort for your long-term partner? Your relationship deserves it.
Anything overly sexy, as we read above.
Anything with a wildly busy print. Better still, avoid prints if you're unsure.
- Wear lace on your top, skirt or dress.
- Wear a dress that shows off your silhouette by skimming your contours. Think comfort AND elegance.
- Wear a pencil skirt in knee high, midi or long length with a split at the back, front or side.
- Put your ultra sexy heels on!
- As you wish to follow French Chic, you’ll stick to the ‘only one sexy area’ guideline. This means that if you wear a 'sexy' skirt with heels, you tone down the rest of your outfit: no gorge-deep décolletage for instance.
On the other hand, if you show off your upper body (arms and shoulders, back or cleavage), you tone down your lower half.
- Wear a knee-high pencil skirt or smart trousers with high heels.
- For a touch of glamour, wear something in silver or gold, either in your clothes or your accessories.
- Many French women wear black on Valentine's. If you choose to do the same, why not add a subtle splash of red in a garnet or ruby ring, earrings or pendant? It will be understated but will add an alluring Valentine touch nonetheless.
- Another way to lift an all-black outfit is by adding a red silk scarf OR red shoes OR small red clutch.
Whether it is a potential new romance or a long term relationship, you can trust French Chic to provide the perfect look for a successful Valentine's Day.
What will you wear on Valentine's Day? Please let us know in the comments below, merci.
If you enjoyed this post, you may like these:
Valentine's Day Outfits: Celebrate with Chic & Elegance
Valentine's Dinner: 3 Dress Options
Click & SUBSCRIBE
👠 "I am so proud of following your advice because I attended a function recently and a totally unknown lady came up to me and said how elegant I looked!!!! I was so happy, as you can imagine!!!! Thank you so very much for everything."
👠 "Love! Love! Finally a no non-sense approach to being chic, excellent tips, easy to do and understand, anybody can be chic!"
👠 "My closet is organized and I can put my hand on an item of clothing I'm looking for easily, thanks to your book"
👠 "I still need purging but thanks to you I was able to move in one wardrobe box instead of 3."
"Make every day special and beautiful"