When you think about it, which is the colour that attracts the most glances? I will say it is RED!
Even the word itself, in English and in French, "red" and "rouge", sound super sexy,
especially when you put some emphasis on each letter "rrreeeddd", "rrrouuuge". Oh la la!
We all know the benefits of owning LBDs. However, wear a red dress and I guarantee you that all eyes will be focused on you. You will make an entrance and stand out in a room full of black dresses.
I have picked out the red pieces in the above tableau because they are of a classic style. (They are set in the same board but are not to be worn together. Please wear these separately.)
You would be forbidden for thinking that my own closet is full of red clothes and shoes. Funnily enough, I don't have that many. But what I have is enough for my needs.
I own the following red pieces:
- One fitted cardigan
- One short sleeved top
- 1 red & cream skirt
- Two dresses
- One pair of skinny jeans
- One jacket
- Two pairs of shoes (heels + flatties)
The above is enough as these items are versatile. I can wear each garment or shoes with many clothes that I have in various colours.
A few tips about wearing red if you want to look chic:
- Do not dress in red from top to toe. Add a neutral colour such as nude for daytime (shoes + bag) or silver or gold for nighttime.
- As red is a sexy colour by itself, try not to overdo the sexiness with a micro skirt and low cleavage. It will send out the wrong message. The secret to chic and elegance is to keep it simple.
- Find the right tone for your complexion. The right red will make you look sexy and vibrant, while the wrong one will make you look washed out and tired.
- Always wear red with an air of confidence. If you are not ready for the admiring glances that will no doubt come your way, stay away from red.
- For classic colour combinations, try the following:
Red + black
Red + navy
Red + white
Avoid red + green unless it's Christmas Day.
- If you feel a red dress or red coat is too daring for you, limit this stunning colour to your handbag or shoes.
- If you opt for a red lipstick, the makeup on your eyes should not be too strong. I would opt for a neutral eyeshadow, black eyeliner (top lashes only) and mascara on top and lower lashes. Let your lips do the talking.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like these
Decisions, Decisions: Black or Red?
When In Doubt, Wear Red
Red Nose Day
Originally published on 14/8/13
Click & SUBSCRIBE
👠 "I am so proud of following your advice because I attended a function recently and a totally unknown lady came up to me and said how elegant I looked!!!! I was so happy, as you can imagine!!!! Thank you so very much for everything."
👠 "Love! Love! Finally a no non-sense approach to being chic, excellent tips, easy to do and understand, anybody can be chic!"
👠 "My closet is organized and I can put my hand on an item of clothing I'm looking for easily, thanks to your book"
👠 "I still need purging but thanks to you I was able to move in one wardrobe box instead of 3."
"Make every day special and beautiful"