Do you work during the week? Then, mon amie, you are bound to look forward eagerly to the end of the week for some R & R and a treat or two.
Treats, and little treats in particular, are more powerful than we give them credit for, aren't
they? They may be small but certainly not insignificant.
Small treats make us feel special. Our day becomes less ordinary. And please, don't ever wait for somebody else to give you a treat. You're a grown woman, ma chère, you are allowed to treat yourself now and again. Chic French women never, ever feel guilty about little treats, or "petits plaisirs" as we call them. Neither should you.
I have many ideas on how to make you feel special. But here are some for Fridays.
If you are used to reserving your "petits plaisirs" for the week-end only, I have a controversial idea for you: Make Friday part of the week-end. Don't worry! These treats don't have to cost the earth. So please read on.
- Wear your Chanel or Dior lipstick, the one you reserve for your twice-a-year soirées.
- Put on a fabulously chic top, mais oui, even with your jeans, especially so if your office dictates 'casual Fridays'.
- Wear your smartest office dress. Have you noticed how people's attire tend to go more casual (or should I say downhill?) as we get closer to the weekend? Be less ordinary today, mon amie.
- Have a croissant for breakfast, especially if you reserve these for Saturday or Sunday mornings. By the way, The French, moi included of course, never wait for the weekend to have a "pâtisserie". It's normal for us to eat them any day we want.
- Have a cooked, savoury breakfast, with salmon, smoked fish, eggs and/or bacon.
- Enjoy breakfast at a 5-star restaurant before you walk into work. Et pourquoi pas?
- Add smoked salmon to your salad.
- Use 'proper' bread for your sandwich instead of the pre-sliced 'plastic' white variety.
- Sit in a peaceful and green area of a park instead of lunching 'al desko'.
- Have a good quality lunch in a nice cafe or restaurant instead of the usual 'greasy spoon'.
- Make yourself a wonderful cup of tea with your most expensive tea bag.
- Take a few minutes break (if allowed) and try to relax or meditate in a quiet area. I know this is impossible in many places, sad, non?
- Bring a photo of your favourite place in the world and lean it against your computer screen. Stare at it a few times during the day.
- Cook or buy a meal that is usually reserved for Sundays.
- Go out for dinner at a very good restaurant for very good food. (Did you notice the food theme here? Food is in our blood, et oui).
- Wear something nice, and by that I don't mean your slouchy track pants. Do these make you feel special and less ordinary? Non, je ne crois pas.
- Instead of going out, if money is tight, why don't you and your significant other dress up for dinner as if you were going out to a swanky restaurant? You never know, treating yourself as something special may lead to a special evening all round.
What could you do to give yourself a bit of a treat and make your Friday more special? Please let us know in the comments below.
Ps: I am putting out the last few touches to my new online program on Motivation. If you lack motivation and would love to know more, stay tuned as I'll be posting updates very soon, on my facebook pages Marie-Anne Lecoeur and How to be Chic & Elegant
You might also like to read this post
How to Lift Your Spirits The French Chic Way
Click & SUBSCRIBE
👠 "I am so proud of following your advice because I attended a function recently and a totally unknown lady came up to me and said how elegant I looked!!!! I was so happy, as you can imagine!!!! Thank you so very much for everything."
👠 "Love! Love! Finally a no non-sense approach to being chic, excellent tips, easy to do and understand, anybody can be chic!"
👠 "My closet is organized and I can put my hand on an item of clothing I'm looking for easily, thanks to your book"
👠 "I still need purging but thanks to you I was able to move in one wardrobe box instead of 3."
"Make every day special and beautiful"